Wednesday, November 9, 2011

So You Want Red Hair?

Photo Credit.


Yes! Yes! Yes!


I've been on the verge of dying my hair red for years now. Years! But I just couldn't work up the courage to do it. I was constantly making excuses.

I'm not pale enough.
Well, it's summer. Maybe in the Fall.
I'll do it when my bangs grow out.


Well last week I stopped making excuses, bucked up and did it. And let me tell you, I couldn't be happier about it.

Red has been popping up a lot lately in recent hair trends, and I've noticed it looks good on almost anyone. Your stylist should be able to tell you what color is going to go with your skin tone.

So maybe you're thinking about making the red hair journey. As a veteran, I've picked up a few things that are important for you to know.


  1. Schedule a consultation. It took over 4 hours to take my color from a dark brown to a coppery-red. If you try to just call and schedule it without talking to your stylist beforehand, it could cause the stylist to run behind or for you not to get exactly what you want due to time constraints. 
  2. At your consultation, talk with your stylist about the different shades of red that you could achieve. Bring a photo, a paint swatch, anything that has that perfect red color you're dying for. 
  3. Don't be disappointed if your color doesn't come out the exact color the first time. Sometimes, color transformations are a long process and it could take several times to get there. 
  4. Talk with the resident makeup artist to see if you need to change your makeup color pallet. 
  5. Bring a book, magazine, DVD player, iPod, iPad, iPhone, iAnything. Like I said, it took me 4 hours. 
But my biggest tip is to just have fun. Stop making excuses. If you were thinking about tattooing Edward Cullen's face on your arm, I might suggest you think about it, but your hair color isn't permanent. And one day you might not have any hair to color, so do it while you can. 

Have you had a recent hair transformation? Red or otherwise? Tell me about your experience in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!